Saturday, August 12, 2006

Random Rainy Day Thoughts... Aug. 9, 2006

It started raining this morning at 6:00 a.m. It is now 10:00 p.m. and it hasn’t let up for even 5 minutes. Our little hut is doing the best it can to protect us from the rain and stand up to the howling winds. The coconut trees are bowing to the ground. It’s kind of scary. So, of course, we didn’t make it to the ocean today, which kind of sucks since I had an experiment that I needed to get started in the Tabu area. I planned on having a day off on Saturday to visit the Tavuni Hill Fort, which is suppose to be really cool. But, since it’s been raining all day, and I have to start my experiment tomorrow and pull it up on Saturday… no free day for me. I’m just hoping, against all odds, that it isn’t raining tomorrow. I’ll probably try to go out even if it is raining. It will be miserable though. When it rains here, it gets very cold. I’m wearing three layers of clothing right now and I’m still cold.
Hmmm… what can I talk about now? I know… hair. Like the last time I visited Fiji, I decided to stop shaving. Unlike last time, I stopped shaving everything. I know what happens to my leg hair when I don’t shave, but I’ve never experimented with my pits. I’ve written about my leg hair in a previous blog. I still find the feeling of it blowing in the wind a strange experience. My pits are uneventful. Armpit hair doesn’t blow in the wind. At least mine doesn’t, thank jeebus! They aren’t as bushy as I imagined they’d get. Oh well, maybe I won’t ever have to shave again! Wouldn’t that be nice.
What else… how about a quick description of Fiji entertainment. Kenyi and Akisi keep the radio on, literally, non-stop at decibels that test the limit of eardrum resilience. It can be really annoying, especially if you have a headache (like I do right now). Also, the Fijian radio stations (there are 3) play the same things over and over and over and over again. You may say, “But, Sara, they do that in Atlanta too.” Uh, no. I think the station here has one CD which is played over and over again. The station that Kenyi and Akisi listen to plays hip-hop and light pop-rock. There’s a song called “I don’t want to be a murder anymore”, which I’ve heard 9 times today. I counted. It’s not even a good song. It’s probably one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard in my life. I prefer the radio station that plays all Fijian music because I have no clue if a song is played repetitively. They all sound the same to me, but I like them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home