Sunday, August 01, 2004

One experiment up and running… finally! (7/17)

I was really upset about yesterday’s wasted day. It’s already Saturday and I haven’t anything to show for it. I got up early this morning and prepared my nutrient bags. They consist of knee-high pantyhose filled with slow release fertilizer; the controls are knee-highs filled with sand/gravel. I prepared my site labels earlier (large nails with numbered metal tags). I gathered all of my supplies and headed to the beach with Zach and Sambu. It’s really difficult to swim with two large plastic bags of pantyhose filled with gravel or fertilizer, a heavy bag of nails and a hammer.

I was looking for the same species of coral, of roughly the same size in pairs (one treatment and one control). I found the first set on a wall in the channel, but realized (after setting it up) that it’s a little too deep to work with while snorkeling. It’s already set up though, so I just have to deal with it. The next 8 pairs were in shallower water next to the channel. The problem there was the surge. Trying to complete the simple task of hammering a nail into the reef rock seemed impossible. I’d be swept past the nail on an incoming wave and be violently dragged past it on an outgoing wave. It was like the sea was against me. You could hear me cussing vehemently through my snorkel. After a while, Sam (who was helping me) just took the hammer from me. He could drive a nail into the rock with 5 or 6 strikes. It took me 10 or 20. Although I did hear “Sheet!” coming out of his snorkel more than once. It took Sam and I five hours of non-stop hard work and concerted effort to get all nine replicates set up. I don’t know about Sam, but I’m bruised and battered. My legs hurt no matter how I sit or lay. I can’t WAIT to set up the other nine reps. Since I’m not allowed to work tomorrow, I’ll have to go out on Monday to check the sites and make sure everything is still in place. I also have to take measurements of the coral colony sizes and distances apart.
Ratu Jim and his wife visited us at night. Jim asked me what we’d be eating for our meals. I told him cereal, sandwiches and crackers. He asked me why I don’t cook for Zach. I said Zach could cook for himself. Jim said I should cook because I’m a woman and that’s my job. I smiled and chuckled and said I don’t even cook for myself. Besides, Zach doesn’t WANT me to cook for him. Zach vehemently affirmed my assumption. Jim said we should come to lunch at his house tomorrow and he’d show me how to cook. Yeah right. Of course, this amused Zach to no extent and I’ve had to hear countless jokes regarding my womanly duties. He better watch out or he’s gonna find rat turds mixed in with his raisin bran.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home